OIEP-sponsored Master's degree programs can be gateways to Ph.D. studies. Since 2014, graduates from the UMD-Nanjing Normal University joint Master's degree in Criminal Justice and the UMD-Nanjing Normal University Master of Science in Geospatial Information Sciences (MSGIS) have gone on to study for doctorates at:
- East China University of Political Science and Law (Forensic Technology, Bankruptcy Law);
- Leiden University (Developmental Psychopathology);
- Southeast University, China;
- Tsukuba University (Criminology);
- The University of Cincinnati (Geography of Crime);
- University College London (Crime Science);
- The University of Maryland, College Park;
- The University of Tennessee (Urban Sociology and Crime).
- Tianjin University of Finance and Economics (Legal economy).